Saturday, September 10, 2011

Wheel Men

Before I really get down to the riding, French countryside, baguettes and electrical storms...


Quite a few nice things have happened along the way - rewarding in a way that PBP will never be.


The image attached is of a silver lapel badge sent to my by a 72 year old gentleman by the name of Bill Luke.  Bill had been tuned into the ABC afternoon show and listened with some interest to the 15 minutes spent talking with Richard Stubbs ( also a very generous soul who responded to our idea positively and gave us air time to plug the OCF to the Victorian audience ).  This was just a week or so before leaving for France.

Bill called the ABC studio following the interview and asked that his details be sent to me with the request that I call, as he had an old cycling medal that he would like to give to me... 

Deep in the throws of finishing up the bikes, and a little distracted, I typically took a couple of days to call - which I regret, as he struck me immediately as a very thoughtful and generous person.  He was quick to point out that he expected no payment - just thought that I might appreciate the significance of the item. 

This is as the date suggests, a membership badge of the League of Victorian Wheelmen from 1896-97.  The Wheelmen formed as the governing body for professional cyclists just a few years earlier in Victoria - and Oppy would have been a registered member on turning Professional.

When I asked, Bill exclaimed that ' it had been rattling about in a tin for about 50 years, and that his grandchildren wouldn't know what it was anyway - better to go to someone who will appreciate it...'

To say I was moved would be something of an understatement, and a little lost for the right words.

Due to my initial tardiness, the medal did not arrive by post in time to accompany us on the actual ride - however, the timing has proven quite appropriate for my current state of mind. 

What a lovely little gift to come home to following all that has happened in the last couple of weeks.  Bill, your thought and action means more to me at this point than PBP. 

I owe you a return letter Bill, and will get to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment