Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Road Ghosts

I can still feel the road buzz through my finger tips and toes. 

I'm on the couch, but the last two days are still with me - my body is just coming back down from two days of effort, and I am tired, but don't feel like sleeping just yet.

Nice to feel warm...and stationary. 

I rather like the after-effects of a ride.  Slightly warm and swollen thighs, tired hands, fatigued shoulders, arms and neck muscles, aching eyes.  There is a sense of self satisfaction that comes from the effort - even if much of the day has been spent wanting to step off and pile into the car.

And that is what happened by Cambridge on the return leg - soaked by icy rain that had managed to seep all the way into socks and down the back of knicks.  Lucky to have the option with only a few Km's to home.

I'm just rambling a bit - trying to record some thoughts - ride descriptions are only just so interesting. 

I really didn't want to swing a leg this morning.  At 5.30 am the rain was pelting the roof, and I was safely cocooned within a number of quilts at my parents house - a safe and welcoming home ( even though I haven't lived there for 20 years ). 

Craig could hear my reluctance as we swapped 'phone calls early in the morning to decide what to do next.  All I could think was how unpleasant 200 would be in wet knicks - and then the hours of stripping cleaning and regreasing that would be required to re-prepare the bikes for the next run - no sealed bearings to set and forget.

I guess the guys also know only too well that I have an aversion to actual 'training' and that I have to be cajoled at times to make an effort.  I seem to be ok once the brain has settled on a course of action...find the right combination of clothes, lather the chamy cream, warm the gloves, cap peak pulled low to shield glasses.

I'd even admit that there is a certain grim satisfaction in conquering crappy conditions - which brings its own sense of accomplishment and self pride - knowing that it has been uncomfortable but really that is all.

So, I'm sitting here feeling all self-satisfied, tired but not shattered, full of food but wondering what else I can find in the pantry cupboard - but also knowing that once again, if it weren't for Craig and Gav, I really wouldn't have managed to get as far along this road as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment