Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cheers

Cheers to the craggy faced, silver-haired tradie who called from his ute window ;

'need a beer at the top of this one won't ya' ?

This was at 8.00 Am this morning - about 2 degrees with frost crunching under tyres in the shady spots away from a meek but welcome just arisen sun.

My grin lasted at least until the first switchback on Mt Nelson Road, then turned faintly frozen grimace-like as the bumpy narrow tarmac continued on for another two kilometers or so.

'two beers, I think', was the best I could do in the moment, panting away and standing on the pedals to get on top of the first and steepest ramp leading into the climb.

He was right, I would certainly earn it - I could almost taste the sharp tang of it.

Thankyou sir - another moment to be enjoyed and to draw upon in coming weeks.  I'm certain he had no idea of what we are setting ourselves up for - but I really love the dryness of acknowledgement.  This fella may not want to pedal a bike himself, but could appreciate someone out enjoying the the road.

Cheers...I'll raise a glass of amber tonight in your honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment